Thursday, June 17, 2010

June 2010 Meal #6: Tandoori Style Chicken & Couscous w/Cilantro & Tomatoes

Meal #6 was found by searching on the Internet for meal ideas and I came upon Bettycrocker.com.  I have the modern version of the infamous Betty Crocker cookbook and just had to have it since my mom has one from the 70's.  Funny thing is I haven't used my version of the cookbook in a long time and would rather just checkout the website.  Guess technology takes over actual book reading.

Anyway, I came upon a recipe for Tandoori Style Chicken and the recipe looked easy enough to prepare and cook.  The great thing about Bettycrocker.com is that it provides suggestions for an accompaniment to your dish.  The side dish suggested to go along with the Tandoori chicken was a Mediterranean Couscous.  That as well looked easy enough to prepare, mind you I have never made Tandoori chicken or any couscous dish before.

The story behind wanting to try to make this dish was that a few weeks ago I had finally tried the Indian counter at the mall food court.  I always bypassed it for Panda Express or some stir fry at Sarku.  So with the budging of my husband I gave in to try it and I liked it ALOT.  Thus the start of my new favorite cuisine and now trying my hand in making Indian food.

The Mediterranean couscous I modified and omitted the yellow squash it called for and just kept it as a tomato and cilantro couscous.

TANDOORI STYLE CHICKEN
Ingredients:
8 boneless skinless chicken thighs (2 pounds)

1/2 tsp. water
1/4 tsp. ground mustard
1 cup plain yogurt
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 tsp. paprika
1/2 tsp. ground cardamom
1/2 tsp. each red and yellow food color, if desired
1/4 tsp.n ground ginger
1/4 tsp. ground cumin
1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 garlic clove, crushed

Directions:
Place chicken in glass or plastic bowl.  Mix water and mustard; stir in remaining ingredients.  Pour over chicken; turn to coat well with marinade.  Cover and refrigerate at least 12 hours but no longer than 24 hours.  Heat oven to 375ºF.  Remove chicken from marinade; place chicken in ungreased rectangular baking dish, 13x9x2 inches.  Bake uncovered about 45 minutes or until juice of chicken is no longer pink when centers of thickest pieces are cut.  Garnish with lemon slices if desired.


COUSCOUS W/CILANTRO & TOMATOES
Ingredients:
2 tsp. butter or margarine
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
1 1/2 cups water
1/2 tsp. vegetable or chicken bouillon granules
1 cup uncooked couscous
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1 tbsp chopped fresh basil leaves or 1/2 teaspoon dried basil leaves
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 medium tomato, chopped (3/4 cup)

Directions:
Melt butter in 2-quart nonstick saucepan over medium-high heat. Cook garlic in butter, stirring frequently.  Stir in water and bouillon granules. Heat to boiling; remove from heat.  Stir in couscous. Cover and let stand about 5 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Fluff lightly with fork. Add chopped cilantro and tomatoes and toss.

I bought some Roti Chapati bread from Costco to also serve as a side and cooked some basmati rice.  Picture below of the complete meal and it tasted great.

No comments:

Post a Comment