Wednesday, August 4, 2010

July 2010 Meal #8: Garlic Chicken

I postponed Meal #8 which was Garlic Chicken due to our kitchen faucet being broken.  I had originally planned on using chicken thighs for this but I still had drummettes to use since I was not able to find any green papaya for Meal #12. Besides I had a craving for this meal anyway so I just ended up making it anyway. 

I got the recipe from the cookbook "What Hawaii Likes to Eat" and it's supposedly a version of Mitsu-Ken's famous garlic chicken they have for their plate lunches.  I've actually never eaten at Mitsu-Ken but my hubby says it tastes pretty close to the original.  I like it alot and a great hit when I make it for get togethers at our home.

GARLIC CHICKEN
Ingredients:
3 lbs. Chicken drummettes or wings

2 cups flour
2 tbsp garlic salt
1/2 tsp white pepper
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1 qt canola oil for frying

Garlic soy sauce:
1 cup soy sauce
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup water
1/4 tsp grated ginger
1 small clove garlic, grated
1/4 cup minced green onion
Shichimi togarashi (red pepper mix) to taste, optional

Directions:
Rinse chicken and pat dry; set aside. Combine flour, garlic salt,pepper, and garlic powder in gallon size plastic bag; shake to mix well. Place chicken in plastic bag; shake to coat with flour mixture. Refrigerate 30-40 minutes.

Deep fry in oil to 365 degrees-375 degrees F until chicken is golden brown. Drain on absorbent paper and dip in garlic soy sauce to serve.


Prepare garlic soy sauce:
Combine all ingredients for garlic soy sauce; mix until well blended. Serve with fried chicken.

Below is the yummy fried goodness.  Boneless skinless chicken thighs can be used as well. Just slice it up, coat in flour mixture, and deep fry.

No comments:

Post a Comment