Thursday, August 26, 2010

August 2010 Meal #5: Chinese Roast Chicken Replaced by Char Siu Chicken

I had meant to make Chinese Roast Chicken for Meal #5 but I didn't realize that I only had one package of the marinade.  Which is kind of weird since I usually buy more than one package and I haven't made that in a long while.  So as an alternative and it's a good thing that I had more than one package of marinade, I ended up making Char Siu Chicken instead.  I don't have a recipe from scratch since sometimes I think the simpler something is to make, the better for me.  I used the NOH brand Char Siu mix and all you have to pretty much do is supply the meat and just add water.  How much simpler could it get right?  This is how the package looks like and the recipe to go along with it.



CHAR SIU CHICKEN
1 pkg. NOH Chinese Barbecue Seasoning Mix (I normally use 2 pkgs.)

1/2 cup water
1 1/2 lbs. pork (pork butt, ribs, chicken, duck, turkey, etc.)

Combine contents of package with 1/2 cup water. Mix thoroughly. Cut 1 1/2 lbs. of pork into 2 inch by 2 inch by 4 inch pieces. Marinate in sauce for 2 to 4 hours or overnight for best results. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place pork on a rack in a roasting pan and cook for 20 minutes. Turn meat and cook 20 minutes longer or until done. Baste occasionally with marinade.

OPTIONAL: Dry mix can be rubbed directly onto the meat without adding water.

I had the chicken grilled over our BBQ grill and it tastes better when grilled.  I thought that I had a picture of it but I don't so I apologize for not providing a sample.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment