Thursday, July 1, 2010

June 2010 Meal #15: Crockpot Stew

Meal #15 which is a crockpot stew is one the the only things I make regularly in the crockpot.  I used to make this particular dish in the oven and didn't have an actual name for it.  This is something I learned from my mom and dad, when I made it for the first time for my husband years ago he ended up really liking it.  I normally used kal bi meat (flanken steak) because of it's fattiness making the meat real tender when baking.  However as of lately the meat price has fluctuated and I've been buying similar cuts of boneless meat. 

I was given a crockpot for Christmas a few years ago and maybe had only used it twice, then for some reason one day I had an epiphany to make this baked dish in the crockpot.  Now why hadn't I thought of that before? I have no idea! Haha!  So by making this in the crockpot it turned out be more of a stew than a baked dish.  Nonetheless, a really good outcome and has become a popular go to crockpot dinner.

I didn't realize until just recently that Lipton's Onion Soup mix and Campbell's Cream of Mushroom is a staple in my kitchen and I always need them on stock in my pantry.  Thank goodness for Costco to help keep me well stocked.

CROCKPOT STEW
Ingredients:
2-3 lbs. flanken cut meat, sliced
1 large potato or 2 medium sized potatoes, diced
2 carrots,sliced
2 cups white mushroom, sliced
3 small cans or 1 large can Campbells Cream of mushroom soup
2 pkgs. Lipton Onion dry soup mix

Directions:
Mix cream of mushroom soup with Lipton Onion soup mix.  Layer in crockpot the meat, some of soup mixture over meat, then all the veggies, and the remaining of the soup mixture.  Cover and set crockpot on low and cook for 8 hours.

**This can also be done in the oven. Layer the same into a 13x9 baking dish and cover with foil.  Bake in oven at 375 degrees for 1 hour.  After one hour check if meat is cooked and if veggies are soft to your liking.  If it isn't then continue to bake uncovered for another 10-15 minutes.**

No comments:

Post a Comment