Thursday, July 8, 2010

July 2010 Meal #3: Hamburger Stroganoff w/Gnocchi

I've made Meal #3 which is Hamburger Stroganoff so many times that I don't follow the recipe anymore.  The recipe is actually from the Betty Crocker cookbook and I used to follow it from my mom's 70's cookbook version. 

The recipe calls for the stroganoff to be served on a bed of egg noodles but my husband wanted me to try it with the leftover frozen gnocchi I had from when I made the ragout a few weeks ago.  By doing this it reminded me of one of our dinners while we were in Switzerland for our honeymoon.  It was something similar to stroganoff but with beef strips, a little creamier, and served with something that was kind of like hash browns.  So I figured making the stroganoff and using the gnocchi would be a little similar and I was up for an experiment anyway.

HAMBURGER STROGANOFF
Ingredients:
1 lb. hamburger

1 medium onion, chopped
1/4 cup margarine or butter
2 tbsp. flour
1 tsp. salt
1 clove garlic, chopped
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 tray fresh mushrooms, sliced
1 can condensed cream of mushroom soup
1 cup sour cream or unflavored yogurt
2-3 cups hot cooked egg noodles

Directions:
Cook and stir margarine, hamburger, garlic, and onion in 10-inch skillet until brown.  Stir in flour, salt, and pepper.  Stir in sour crem, soup, and mushrooms and simmer until mushrooms are tender. Serve over hot noodles.

Here's the stroganoff with the gnocchi and it tasted just as good if it were topped over noodles.

No comments:

Post a Comment