Saturday, November 6, 2010

September 2010 Meal #19: Pork & Balatong (Mung Beans)

I rarely make this Filipino dish and is one of my faves to eat when we visit a Filipino restaurant back home in Hawaii.  For Meal #19 I made something called Pork & Balatong (Mung Beans) that tastes good with some hot rice.  I've seen three different kind of packaged mung beans which are available whole, split, or split and peeled.  In this dish I ended up using the split and peeled beans since this is what available at the nearest Asian grocer near me.   Here is the recipe to share with you.

PORK & BALATONG (MUNG BEANS)
Ingredients:
1-2 lbs. pork chuck steak, chopped
2 tbsp. garlic, minced
1/2 onion, sliced
1 cup split & peeled mung bean
patis
water
pepper
1 cup chicharon (pork rinds), broken into pieces
1/2 cup dried shrimp

Directions:
Brown pork and garlic with some oil.  Add onions and cook until tender.  Add 4 cups water and mung beans.  Add patis and pepper to your liking.  Add  chicharon and dried shrimp.  Let simmer until beans are cooked through adding more water if needed.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment