Saturday, November 6, 2010

Arroz Caldo

Whew! I'm finally caught up with all the meals and I'm now up to date.  October has been a really busy month and I didn't even make a meal plan for that month either.  The first week of November has already passed and I haven't started one for this month either so I'm kind of behind already.  I'll try to get on it with a meal plan for this month in the next few days. 

In any case I have a recipe that isn't on the meal plan at all.  With the fall weather already starting it's soup season for us.  One of my favorites to make is something called Arroz Caldo which is pretty much like a chicken gruel soup made with rice.  This is something that I make with the leftover turkey from Thanksgiving or from stripping a Costco rotisserie chicken.  When it's all done, this fills you up with warm goodness and it's a major plus since my toddler loves it.  I just made a big pot of that today since we hosted UH Warrior football game at our home and the pot's all empty.  This is so simple to make that I'm sure one of you will enjoy.  Here is my modified recipe and picture to share.

ARROZ CALDO
Ingredients:
1 Costco rotisserie chicken stripped and meat shredded
4 cups cooked rice
2 tbsp. garlic, minced
1 medium piece ginger, cut into chunks
1/2 onion, sliced
4 cans chicken broth
1 bunch green onion, chopped
4 tbsp. patis
pepper
oil

Directions:
Cook onion, garlic, and ginger in some oil til onions are tender.  Add shredded chicken and patis and mix.  Add chicken broth and bring to a boil. Add rice and green onion and mix well.  Season with pepper and simmer until broth has thickened.  Add more broth if needed if you want it to be more soupy.

1 comment: