Wednesday, September 15, 2010

September 2010 Meal #4: Baked Rataouille

For Meal #4 I also referred to the cookbook "Taste of Home: Best Loved Casseroles" and chose to make Baked Ratatouille.  Just seeing the word "ratatouille" reminds me of the children's cartoon movie of the same name.  If you have seen the movie you would recall it's a layered dish consisting of eggplant and some other vegetables.  This recipe called for layering of the veggies however my meal didn't quite turn out exactly how its supposed too. 

The night I made this for dinner is the same night my husband plays for his flag football league.  I had to cook this before I had to pick him up from work to head out to the game.  I ended up just cubing and mixing all the ingredients together in a pot instead of it being a casserole and I neglected to read the ingredients correctly since I was missing cheese for the topping.  So unfortunately I don't have a picture to share although it turned out really good over a bed of hot rice anyway ;p

BAKED RATATOUILLE
Ingredients:
4 bacon strips, cut into 2-inch pieces (I omitted the bacon and used ground Italian sausage, cook til no longer pink)
1 cup onion, sliced
1 can (14 1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
1/3 cup tomato paste
1/4 cup olive oil
1 large garlic clove, minced
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. Italian seasoning
1 large eggplant (about 1 1/4 lbs.), peeled and cubed
4 medium zucchini, sliced
1 large green pepper, cut into strips
8-12 ounces sliced Monterey Jack cheese

Directions:
In a large skillet, cook the bacon (or ground Italian sausage) and onion over medium heat until bacon is crisp (or until sausage is brown); drain oil.  Stir in the tomatoes, tomato paste, oil, garlic, salt, and Italian seasoning. 

Spread half into a greased 13-in x 9-in. x 2-in. baking dish.  Layer with half of eggplant, zucchini, green pepper, and cheese.  Repeat layers.  Bake uncovered at 375 degrees for 50-55 minutes or until hot and bubbly.

No comments:

Post a Comment