Thursday, September 2, 2010

August 2010 Meal #10: Chop Chai

For Meal #10 I had decided to make Chop Chai which is a Korean Chop Suey.  My husband and I ate this dish a long while ago at a Korean restaurant in Oregon that was really good.  I had made this once before but for some reason never made it again.  Since I'm on the hunt for new meals to make, I added this to the menu plan.  This particular recipe I also got from the Moanalua High School Project Graduation 2008: Local Style Cooking With A Mainland Flair fundraising cookbook.

When I was ready to prepare this recipe I found that I was missing two ingredients which were carrots and watercress.  The watercress apparently isn't available in my local supermarkets and I am guessing I had to make a trip to the Asian market that's kind of out of the way for me.  As for the carrots, I just simply forgot to grab some.  Nonetheless, after preparing with what I already had this meal turned out really well and an accompanying side dish of kim chee made it even tastier.  I had also forgotten to take a picture of this too, besides since it was missing two ingredients I didn't think it was picture worthy.  I'll likely make this again someday and I'll be sure to take a picture to share. 

CHOP CHAI (KOREAN CHOP SUEY)
Ingredients
3 - 1.75 oz. pkgs. long rice
6 dried shiitake mushrooms
1/2 lb. flank steak, cut into fine 1-inch strips
1 cup carrots, julienned
2 tbsp. vegetable oil
salt, to taste
1 cup string beans, French cut
1/2 cup onions, sliced
1 tbsp. sesame oil
1/2 bundle watercress, cut into 2-inch lengths

Seasoning for long rice:
4 tbsp. shoyu
2 tbsp sesame oil
1 1/2 to 4 tbsp sugar, to taste
1 tbsp. roasted sesame seeds
1/8 tsp pepper

Seasoning for beef:
1/2 tsp garlic, minced
2 tbsp. shoyu
2 tbsp. sugar
2 tsp roasted sesame seeds

Directions:
Soak long rice in hot water until soft, then boil until cooked.  Drain well and cut into 2-inch lengths.  Soak mushrooms in hot water until soft.  Squeeze to remove water; remove stems and cut into strips.

Combine seasoning ingredients for long rice.  Add to long rice, tossing to coat.  Set aside and toss occasionally.

Combine seasoning ingredients for beef.  Add beef strips.

Fry carrots in 2 tbsp oil just until tender.  Sprinkle with salt; place in a large bowl to cool.  Follow same procedure with string beans; add to carrots.

Fry onions in sesame oil.  Add beef strips and seasonings; fry until meat is half-done.  Add mushrooms and watercress; fry until meat is cooked.  Cool, then combine with carrots, beans, and long rice.  Serve at room temperature.

ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment