Wednesday, September 15, 2010

September 2010 Meal #3: Enchilada Casserole

I mentioned before that I used to have a habit of buying those little cookbooks that you see at the checkout counter at the grocery store.  I have begun to utilize them and there are pretty good recipes in there.  Out of the recipe book "Taste of Home: Best Loved Casseroles" for Meal #3 I chose the Enchilada Casserole.  It was really easy to make and didn't take much time.  The outcome was really tasty however I would make more filling since the edges were kind of dry after I baked it.  I'll have to remember to make a few revisions to his dish the next time I decide to make it.  Here's a picture sample and recipe to share.  I only wished I had some sour cream to complete my dinner.

ENCHILADA CASSEROLE
Ingredients:
1 lb. hamburger or ground turkey
1-1/2 cups onions, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tbsp. plus 1/3 cup vegetable oil, divided
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
2 tbsp. chili powder
3/4 tsp. seasoned salt
1/8 tsp. pepper
4 cups water
12 corn tortillas (7 inches)
1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
1-1/2 cup salsa

Directions:
In a large skillet over medium heat, cook meat, onions, and garlic in 1 tbsp. oil until no longer pink; drain.  Sprinkle with the flour, chili powder, seasoned salt, and pepper.  Add water; bring to a boil.  Reduce heat; simmer uncovered, for 8-10 minutes or until reduced.

In another skillet, fry tortillas in remaining oil for about 15 seconds turning once.  Drain well.  Cut nine tortillas in half.  Place cut edge of one tortilla against each short end of a greased 11-in. x 7-in. x 2-in. baking dish.  Place cut edge of two tortillas against long sides of dish, overlapping to fit.  Place a whole tortilla in center.

Spoon 2 cups of meat mixture over tortillas; sprinkle with 1/2 cup cheese.  Repeat layers.  Top with remaining tortillas and meat sauce.  Bake uncovered at 375 degrees for 20 minutes.  Sprinkle with remaining cheese.  Bake 5-10 minutes longer or until cheese is melted.  Serve with salsa.

No comments:

Post a Comment