Sunday, April 3, 2011

Cake Balls!

I have been wanting to make Cake Balls for forever but never had a reason to make them.  Like I really had an excurse not to anyway, they're some kind of dessert!  If you're not familiar on what Cake Balls are, they're essentially chocolate covered cake balls kind of like a truffle. 

I've been following the site Bakerella that showcases the Cake Balls along with other yummy looking treats.  She provides the how-to's to duplicate her yummy creations and they look pretty easy.  So since my son's third birthday is coming up I was thinking of making these cake balls as treats for the young ones but more so for the adults. 

I followed Bakerella's recipe for the Red Velvet Cake Ball's and here's my process on how they turned out.

Ready to bake the cake.


Cake is done baking.


Crumble the cake.


Add a can of whipped creamcheese frosting.

 
Mix the frosting into the crumbled cake.


Shape into about 1.25 inch balls.


 Melt chocolate. Here I used an electric candy melter/warmer.


Melted chocolate ready in about 5 minutes.


Dip a cake ball into chocolate, tapping off any excess.


Lay on a cookie sheet lined with wax paper.  Allow chocolate to harden.


Mmmm....Yummy Red Velvet Cake Balls!


2 comments:

  1. snap. send me some!! my mom tried to make some, but they came out too wet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL, you have Eileen at home. Have her make some and I hear they're the bomb.

    I'm still experimenting since this batch I only put them in the fridge. I've been reading they're better and don't crumble much when they're put in the freezer.

    ReplyDelete