Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Instant Pot Beef Luau Stew

I've had success with slowly converting all the local Hawaii dishes that I cook via stovetop to the Instant Pot. A few weeks ago I conquered a beef luau stew. It's Hawaiian beef stew made with luau leaves (taro leaves) and coconut milk. Normally this takes me a few hours to cook on the stove in order to get the meat tender and to cook the fresh leaves properly. Not cooking down the leaves properly results with you experiencing an itchy throat when eating it. Here's my mock up recipe that I just typed up 😉👍🏼. 

INGREDIENTS:

Luau leaves (taro leaves) stems & fibrous veins removed
8 cups water
Hawaiian salt
3 lb chuck roast 
1/2 onion
2 tbsp minced garlic
4 cups chicken broth 
2 cans coconut milk
Salt & pepper to taste 

DIRECTIONS:

PART I:

Cleaned and cut off stems of luau leaves. Chop leaves and add to pot with 8 cups water. Sprinkle some Hawaiian salt and push leaves into water. Cook on manual for 15 min. Let NPR for 10, then quick release. Drain leaves.  I ended up doing two cooking batches of the leaves since I didn't want to overflow the pot. 

PART 2:
Cut chuck roast into big chunks. Sauté meat with coconut oil. Add sliced onions, garlic, 4 cups chicken broth, and cooked luau leaves. Stir to incorporate. Cancel sauté and cook on Meat/Stew for 25 min. Let NPR for 10 min, then quick release. Cancel keep warm and hit sauté. Add two cans of coconut milk and stir.  Season to taste. Enjoy!




1 comment:

  1. Mahalo, Oahu / Maui girl living in Georgia, been growing Okinawan taro for years and making, but now i have an insta pot. Mahalo, trying tomorrow. Aloha

    ReplyDelete