Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Chow Fun

Wow! It's been nearly 10 days since I've last blogged and I'm WAY behind.  Also, I changed up the food blog to no longer be a just a food blog but instead an everything and anything blog.  So time to get back to business since I think I'm about six meals behind.

So to continue on from the last post about Kalua Pig for the baby luau, we also made a big pan of local style chow fun.  I would normally use the Hula Girl brand of dry chow fun but I didn't have enough of it and the Asian store that I get them at ran out.  So I ended up using two packages of the refrigerated already cooked chow fun noodles.  By the picture below you can't even tell the difference between the noodles and the guests who ate it didn't couldn't taste the difference either.  The recipe below will be for the "normal" size I would make for my family alone whereas the picture below was the big "party tray" size.  Also, on a side note you may want to cook it in two batches depending on the size of your pot, wok, or whichever cooking pan you're using.  Makes for easier mixing.

CHOW FUN
Ingredients:
1 lbs. ground pork
1 can Spam, julienned
3 pkgs. chow fun noodles
1/2 onion, sliced
2 tbsp. garlic, minced
1 carrot, grated
1 kamaboko (fishcake, the pink & white swirled one), shredded
2-3 cups bean sprouts
1 bunch green onion, chopped
Oyster sauce
pepper

Directions:
Boil noodles according to the package directions and set aside.  Brown ground pork with garlic.  Add onions, Spam, carrots, green onions, kamaboko, bean sprouts, and about 1/2 cup of oyster sauce and mix well.  Add cooked noodles and about 1/2 cup more oyster sauce and toss mixture thoroughly.  Season with some pepper to your liking.  You may add more oyster sauce to your preference if noodles are looking dry.

Here's the yummy outcome!

5 comments:

  1. For the "Party Size", would you double or triple the recipe??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here in Alabama I can take get the noodles 😞

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was PERFECT! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If I can not find chow fun noodles what can I use instead

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Try using linguine or fettuccine. They won’t have the same texture, but they’ll come close.

      Delete