Thursday, September 2, 2010

August 2010 Meal #11: Szechwan Ribs w/Mongolian Marinade

 For Meal #11 I made Szechwan Ribs w/Mongolian Marinade which is a recipe my cousin Julie gave me a few months ago.  It sounded real good and it was something new for me to try.  While I was perusing through one of my local cookbooks from Hawaii I was surprise to find that I had the recipe for years and didn't even know it.  This is actually a recipe from Roy's in Hawaii and it's famous chef Roy Yamaguchi. 

This was really easy to make and it turned out really good.  Even with the chili paste making it a little spicy, I still got the approval from my two year old. ;o).  For once I used half of the recipe since I used pork spareribs instead of the baby back ribs the recipe called for.  Here's the recipe to share and again no picture to share :o(.

SZECHWAN RIBS W/MONGOLIAN MARINADE
Ingredients:
4 1/2 lbs. baby back ribs (3 slabs)
2 cups Hoisin sauce
2 tbsp. garlic, minced
3 tbsp. ginger, minced
2 tbsp Chinese chili paste
1/2 cup honey

Cut ribs in half and place in a large pot of boiling water.  Slow boil for an hour and half or until meat is tender (meat must have shrunk down from top of the bone at least a half inch).  Remove ribs from water and let stand for abut 10 minutes until warm to touch.

For Mongolian marinade, mix Hoisin sauce, garlic, ginger, chili paste, and honey in a large mixing bowl and refrigerate.  Brush Mongolian marinade on both sides of the ribs.  Preheat oven to 450 degrees.  Place ribs on a cooling rack and then onto a cookie sheet within the oven.  Bake for 10-15 minutes or until ribs are shiny and sauce had baked into meat.  Remove and let cool.  Cut ribs into pieces and brush with leftover marinade.  Grill rib pieces on a hibachi for a few minutes until hot, then serve and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment