Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Instant Pot Shoyu Chicken

About a month ago my brother came in from Seattle for a visit be had been curious on how my Instant Pot works since I had been posting about it on Facebook. He was pretty amazed that I could cook a local Hawaii favorite is Shoyu Chicken in less than half the time over the stove. This batch I made in the IP took only 8 minutes since it was a mixture of bone in chicken thighs and drumsticks. I had thought I had grabbed a tray of all bone in thighs at the store but this worked out really well. I later cooked a tray of all bone in thighs for a different dish and found I had to cook it in the IP for 12 minutes. 

So depending on what cut of chicken you are using, you will have to adjust the cooking time. This recipe will be based on what I have done so far. 

Here's the recipe. 


INSTANT POT SHOYU CHICKEN

Ingredients:
1 tray of chicken thighs and drumsticks
1 cup shoyu (Aloha Brand preferred)
1 cup water
1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
Few slices of ginger 
Coconut oil or preference
Chopped green onion
Cornstarch and water for slurry


Directions:

Sautéed chicken thighs and drumsticks in coconut oil and set aside. Deglazed the bits with water, shoyu, added sliced ginger, and brown sugar. Added the chicken, cancel sauté, and hit chicken for 8 minutes. NPR 8 minutes and then QR. I removed chicken, hit sauté to thicken sauce with cornstarch and water and added chopped green onion. Placed chicken back to pot. Enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment